Skip to main content

Sarah Starting Over Excerpt

Now that my co-writer and I have submitted our co-mance to publishers, I am working on fine tuning my women's fiction novel Sarah Starting Over. Fingers crossed, it will be published in the very near future. 

Here's the premise: It's about a widowed mom who is determined to figure out who murdered her husband. With the help of a handsome black PI with a prosthetic leg, she will find answers and hope.

***

Brandon appeared at the front door. He was holding a pink box. He slipped it open and inside was an anniversary cake.
“We didn’t have a real wedding cake in Vegas, so figured it was time,” Brandon said.
“That’s so sweet of you,” I said as I leaned in to kiss him.
“It’s marble cake inside with chocolate ganache.”
“Mmm…That sounds decadent.”
“I know chocolate always puts you in the mood,” He said with a wink.
Brandon walked inside and put the cake on the kitchen counter.
“If you’re not hungry, maybe we could do something physical to work up our appetites.”
“Are you coming on to me?”
“Maybe.”
He threw his arms around my waist and pulled me close. His lips met mine and I was hit by his kale smoothie breath.
“Why don’t you go to the bedroom and get rid of all of those clothes. I’ll meet you in there once I get this cake put away,” Brandon said.
As I turned to head in that direction, he gave my backside a flirtatious slap.
Once in our room, I shimmied out of my skirt and panties. Then I unbuttoned my top and unsnapped my bra. I tried to arrange myself seductively on the bed while I waited.
I glanced at the alarm clock and ten minutes had passed. Feeling a chill, I shoved myself under the covers. How long could it take to maneuver a cake into the fridge? Well we did have a lot of leftovers crammed in there.
A few more minutes ticked by. Finally I walked back toward the kitchen. Once I got there it was crowded with fifty people wearing black. There were loads of casseroles and baked goods on the counter and the kitchen table.
Brandon’s sister came up to me and gave me a hug.
“Have you seen Brandon, he was just in here trying to get a cake to fit in the fridge?”
“Oh, Sarah, are you okay? Do you need to sit down for a minute?”
Megan touched my forehead like she was checking my temperature.
“I’m fine. Where’s Brandon. As you can see, I’m naked. We had sexy plans, if you know what I mean.”
Tears streamed down Megan’s face. She pulled a wadded up tissue from her pants pocket and dabbed it on her eyes.
“He’s gone.”
What she said wasn’t making any sense.
“Gone where? Did he run out to the store for something?”
“I know it still doesn’t feel real. I’m in shock too.”
Megan took off her cardigan and threw it over my shoulders.
I ran from room to room. He was nowhere to be found. “Brandon, Brandon,” I shouted.
Back in the master bedroom I screamed, “Come back to me.”
You are My Sunshine was now playing in my head. Hands clutched my arm. “Brandon?”
With an audible gasp, I opened my eyes. It was Milo touching me. He held his lullaby-singing bear in his other hand.
I wished he hadn’t woken me. I was so close to getting to spend more time with dream Brandon.
“It’s Milo Mama. Were you dreaming about Daddy again?”
“Yes, honey.”
“I did a few nights ago. We were at Disneyland and he was riding the Dumbo ride with me.”
“That sounds nice.”

Janet called these visitation dreams. She’d lost her mother as a teenager and had them sporadically over the years. Her belief was that it wasn’t just a dream, a loved one was actually paying a visit. I hoped she was right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating Maggie Excerpt II

The front door squeaked open. First Maggie saw the steel-toed alligator skin boots and worked her way up to the Stetson cowboy hat perched on the guy’s tall, rugged frame. There was goatee stubble on his face. His hazel eyes were penetrating. He was undeniably hot. Maggie was having a hard time breathing. Be cool . Cowboys were so not her type anyway. And what was one doing in Hollywood? Maybe he was an extra on something shooting nearby. If not, shouldn’t he be in Montana roping steer or something?  Sweat pooled in her armpits from running to work. She glanced at her reflection in the dark paneled door. Her hair was thrown up in a messy crow’s nest of a bun. And her uniform did her no favors. Pleated beige polyester pants and a loose green polo shirt would make anyone look dowdy.  The cowboy extended his hand. “Ma’am, I’m here for the ten o’ clock movie studio tour.”

Dating Maggie Excerpt I

Maggie sat up straight and licked her front teeth. There was no gloss present. She was positioned in front of a camera perched on a pile of books. I’m attempting to make my first video dating diary or vlog as they say. She cleared her throat dramatically and let out a long breath. This morning I got some bad news. The actress moved off camera to check and see if she’d remembered to press record. She had. Editing would take care of her off camera flub up. Patrick is in a coma. His sister called me back when she heard the messages that I’d left on his phone. She tucked her hair behind her ears. I guess it’s true that the shower is one of the top places to have an accident. She paused dramatically, contemplating what she’d say next. It looks like now I’ll be flying solo at my twenty-fifth birthday dinner tonight. And date number two with this very promising guy is now cancelled…indefinitely

Christmas Kiss, a sweet romance novelette is now on Amazon!

Get it here for.99 on Amazon Here is the blurb:  Just weeks from Christmas, Jess must move from NYC to Orcas Island to fix up the bakery she’s inherited. Being unexpectedly dumped by her boyfriend has not helped to get her into the holiday spirit. To make matters worse, Charlie, her neighbor practices electric guitar every night and is quick to share his strong stance on property lines. Despite mounting conflicts, will Jess and Charlie’s hearts be softened by the atmosphere of the Christmas season? This sweet Christmas romance novelette is best read near a crackling fire as the snow falls outside.