Skip to main content

The Life of a Book

Yesterday I was at the Goodwill perusing the book section, already feeling guilty about the prospect of buying a paperback for ninety nine cents at a used goods store instead of going online and buying it new so the author could get some of the proceeds...or going to a local bookstore to benefit the local economy and the author. As consumers, most of us probably think about how we can get what we want for the cheapest price, or maybe that's just me. Hey, Goodwill does good things for our community, I reasoned. And then I didn't end up buying a book. But instead bought a winter coat and khaki pants. I know, I know...so what's my point?

The outing got me thinking about the life of a book. What if one of my books ended up on those Goodwill shelves? Or worse, at the Goodwill Outlet (junk-ebay breeding ground) store where you pay for stuff by the pound? Maybe it's already happened. Who knows. And then instead of feeling depressed, I got excited about the idea. I'd be in the company of Debbie Macomber and Stephen King, their tattered covers cozying up with mine.

Maybe books are like dandelion seeds. They scatter in the wind, far and wide over time. It's hard to predict where they'll take root. Maybe the book will take root in a reader's hands whose never heard of me before. Because that would be almost everybody at this point:) And if that reader enjoys the story and encounters another book of mine at some point on Amazon, she might buy a different one there and I would benefit from that purchase.

As an avid library goer, I've spent a lot of years getting many books on loan for free. And I'm a voracious reader, so I really can't afford to buy every book I read. Also, I rarely read a book more than once. But since becoming an author last year, I've made an effort to buy more books to support authors like myself. And then sometimes I'll pass them on to friends that love to read, because while that means they didn't buy that book, I may have turned them onto a new author whose books they will buy in the future.

But ultimately I also know that part of making art of any kind, is that some of it will be consumed for free, and that's okay with me. I started thinking about how airlines make money. Some seats are free, for employees who are travelling. A few of the seats will be sold at a discounted rate. But the only way the plane can get off the ground is as a result of those last minute non-sale tickets that may end up costing four times as much as the sale tickets. Everyone can have the experience of taking flight, for some it will be free, for some it will be cheap and some will pay a hefty price tag. But in the end, the airline stays in business because someone is paying for it.

My "to-be-read" pile and two of my books that I've already read so many times!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating Maggie Excerpt II

The front door squeaked open. First Maggie saw the steel-toed alligator skin boots and worked her way up to the Stetson cowboy hat perched on the guy’s tall, rugged frame. There was goatee stubble on his face. His hazel eyes were penetrating. He was undeniably hot. Maggie was having a hard time breathing. Be cool . Cowboys were so not her type anyway. And what was one doing in Hollywood? Maybe he was an extra on something shooting nearby. If not, shouldn’t he be in Montana roping steer or something?  Sweat pooled in her armpits from running to work. She glanced at her reflection in the dark paneled door. Her hair was thrown up in a messy crow’s nest of a bun. And her uniform did her no favors. Pleated beige polyester pants and a loose green polo shirt would make anyone look dowdy.  The cowboy extended his hand. “Ma’am, I’m here for the ten o’ clock movie studio tour.”

Dating Maggie Excerpt I

Maggie sat up straight and licked her front teeth. There was no gloss present. She was positioned in front of a camera perched on a pile of books. I’m attempting to make my first video dating diary or vlog as they say. She cleared her throat dramatically and let out a long breath. This morning I got some bad news. The actress moved off camera to check and see if she’d remembered to press record. She had. Editing would take care of her off camera flub up. Patrick is in a coma. His sister called me back when she heard the messages that I’d left on his phone. She tucked her hair behind her ears. I guess it’s true that the shower is one of the top places to have an accident. She paused dramatically, contemplating what she’d say next. It looks like now I’ll be flying solo at my twenty-fifth birthday dinner tonight. And date number two with this very promising guy is now cancelled…indefinitely

Christmas Kiss, a sweet romance novelette is now on Amazon!

Get it here for.99 on Amazon Here is the blurb:  Just weeks from Christmas, Jess must move from NYC to Orcas Island to fix up the bakery she’s inherited. Being unexpectedly dumped by her boyfriend has not helped to get her into the holiday spirit. To make matters worse, Charlie, her neighbor practices electric guitar every night and is quick to share his strong stance on property lines. Despite mounting conflicts, will Jess and Charlie’s hearts be softened by the atmosphere of the Christmas season? This sweet Christmas romance novelette is best read near a crackling fire as the snow falls outside.