Skip to main content

Life Lessons Learned From Felicity

Felicity originally aired in 1998, eighteen years ago. I watched it then and loved it. And recently I discovered all four seasons were on Hulu, so I started watching it again. It may surprise some to know it was created in part by J.J. Abrams, known for Lost, Star Wars, Star Trek and Alias. 

Felicity is a girl whose just beginning college in New York after following (stalking) a boy there. It's hard to blame her, Ben is nineties eye candy for sure. Those piercing hazel eyes, brilliant smile and floppy dishwater blond hair would drive anyone across country to be in his proximity. Not really, in real life, I'm proud to say I didn't follow any hot boy from high school to college. But then she befriends Noel, the geeky/hot RA on her floor. And he's no slouch with his soulful brown eyes, dimples and floppy brown hair. Each year follows Felicity as she cycles back and forth between these two guys and makes her way from freshman to senior. And then there's the time travel spell, what???

Life Lessons Learned from Watching Felicity:

1. If you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere. 
One thing this show does brilliantly well, is capture that gritty, real feel of living in NYC, unlike shows like "Friends." I say this based on my real life experience of living there for one summer when I was 20. It's all I could take. If the aroma of urine on the streets, crime and high rent can be tolerated, the culture and vibrancy of the city may be worth it. I did enjoy the Broadway shows. The point is, if one survives four years of college there, it's a real accomplishment and will make life in any other city seem a million times easier. IMHO. No offense to my New Yorker friends, my hat is off to you.

2. Hook up with the hot guy, marry the smart guy. 
This was my personal take-away. I will not comment on whether the main character learned this lesson or not. In the long term, I think it's important to have a partner who is smart and loyal and capable of making and managing money. When I first watched the show I was #TeamBen all the way. Now when I watch it, I'm totally #TeamNoel. And I hate to say that's based on age and experience.

3. C is for college, not for commitment. 
What other time in life will one be surrounded by so many easy dating opportunities? In an ideal world, one shouldn't have a boyfriend at all during this time. How about some safe fun with more than one boy? Because will likely have fun with another girl at some point. That said, there are some who meet the one they will marry in college, but in an ideal world, getting together with that guy would happen in the senior year, when sewing of oats has already occurred.

4. Enjoy being young and full of hope.
Did watching this show make me wanna go back in time? Not really. But I do miss that feeling of the whole world of possibility being open. For most in college, you don't know for sure what you'll do for a living, where you'll live or who you'll marry yet. And the elixr of anxiety and excitement is exhilarating and terrifying. I admit, viewing the show this time around, I yell at the TV as a mom who wants to save Felicity from the misery I can see coming, like that very bad haircut. But she's gotta learn on her own via "natural consequences" as all the parenting books say.

So as network shows go into hibernation for summer, if you are looking for a fun binge watching opportunity, I recommend Felicity. But I will warn you, two to three episodes in a sitting will guarantee angst filled dreams with these characters wandering around a gritty urban terrain, furrowing their eyebrows while holding cups of coffee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating Maggie Excerpt II

The front door squeaked open. First Maggie saw the steel-toed alligator skin boots and worked her way up to the Stetson cowboy hat perched on the guy’s tall, rugged frame. There was goatee stubble on his face. His hazel eyes were penetrating. He was undeniably hot. Maggie was having a hard time breathing. Be cool . Cowboys were so not her type anyway. And what was one doing in Hollywood? Maybe he was an extra on something shooting nearby. If not, shouldn’t he be in Montana roping steer or something?  Sweat pooled in her armpits from running to work. She glanced at her reflection in the dark paneled door. Her hair was thrown up in a messy crow’s nest of a bun. And her uniform did her no favors. Pleated beige polyester pants and a loose green polo shirt would make anyone look dowdy.  The cowboy extended his hand. “Ma’am, I’m here for the ten o’ clock movie studio tour.”

Dating Maggie Excerpt I

Maggie sat up straight and licked her front teeth. There was no gloss present. She was positioned in front of a camera perched on a pile of books. I’m attempting to make my first video dating diary or vlog as they say. She cleared her throat dramatically and let out a long breath. This morning I got some bad news. The actress moved off camera to check and see if she’d remembered to press record. She had. Editing would take care of her off camera flub up. Patrick is in a coma. His sister called me back when she heard the messages that I’d left on his phone. She tucked her hair behind her ears. I guess it’s true that the shower is one of the top places to have an accident. She paused dramatically, contemplating what she’d say next. It looks like now I’ll be flying solo at my twenty-fifth birthday dinner tonight. And date number two with this very promising guy is now cancelled…indefinitely

Christmas Kiss, a sweet romance novelette is now on Amazon!

Get it here for.99 on Amazon Here is the blurb:  Just weeks from Christmas, Jess must move from NYC to Orcas Island to fix up the bakery she’s inherited. Being unexpectedly dumped by her boyfriend has not helped to get her into the holiday spirit. To make matters worse, Charlie, her neighbor practices electric guitar every night and is quick to share his strong stance on property lines. Despite mounting conflicts, will Jess and Charlie’s hearts be softened by the atmosphere of the Christmas season? This sweet Christmas romance novelette is best read near a crackling fire as the snow falls outside.