Skip to main content

Nonfiction vs. Fiction...What to Write Next

My computer at my new writing desk.
Over the past few weeks I have been typing out every book idea that pops into my head. There have been some fiction ideas, a premise for a sequel to Sarah Starting Over, some nonfiction pitches and a few log-lines for memoirs. They are currently living on a word document called "book ideas." It's been a struggle choosing just one idea to develop right now.

I've recently finished a romance that I co-wrote with my writing partner Amber Roshay. That will make three romances written in just over a year. It's been a whirlwind of learning to craft love stories. And I have a lot more to learn about writing good fiction.

Joanna Penn is an author of both fiction and nonfiction. Her assertion is that writing nonfiction is a palette cleanser after writing fiction, and that notion really clicked with me.

I've also been inspired because I am reading a memoir, Meghan Daum's "Life Would Be Perfect if I Lived in That House." It's a terrific read. She chronicles her life through her obsession with finding just the right place to live. Her journey takes her from multiple dorm rooms and later to a variety of cities in her search for a perfect home. Her writing is so smart, it inspires me to elevate my own prose further. I look forward to checking out her other books.

I've always read a fair amount of nonfiction and memoir and maybe as a result, have felt pangs of wanting to write something of the nonfiction variety. It's hard to make a decision because the marketing wisdom is that a writer should stick with one genre and keep doing that to build an audience and a profitable business.

Anyhow, it's time to choose a book idea and move forward before my writing fingers get stuck in the mud. Maybe I don't have to choose. Perhaps the solution will be to work on a nonfiction and fiction project at the same time. Well, it looks like writing this blog post has helped me solve my own problem:) Feel free to comment with your ideas on the subject.

Comments

  1. I vote for a sequel to Sarah Starting Over, but good luck with whatever book idea you pick. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, Livia. My mom said that too:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my Author Page

Dear Readers,

Learn about my books and new projects here or on my Facebook or Twitter pages. I would like to thank anyone who has taken the time to read my books. They have been a labor of love. Hopefully, you enjoyed reading them as much as I savored writing them.

Happy Reading:)

MJ





Freelance Writing Services

I'm offering 20% off of my writing services until 3-30-2015.  Just mention that you read about the discount on my blog.

WHAT I WRITE
Blogs, Web and Social Media ContentE-blasts and Press ReleasesArticles and NewslettersResumes/Cover Letters and Personal Ads Short Films and Plays I'm open to projects not listed here as well. Feel free to email me about your project: melissauhles@hotmail.com

***New Release***The Proposition

My co-mance written with my college friend (Anna Starr) is out today! I need some champagne. But before I imbibe, here's the scoop:
***Need a sexy contemporary romance to keep you warm this fall? Meet a hot billionaire who knows how to get what he wants and a feisty heroine who is resistant to his charms in THE PROPOSITION. 
FREE with KU or buy it at:


Amazon E-book: http://tinyurl.com/hlwtdsf
Amazon Paperback: http://tinyurl.com/j4eyvuo