Skip to main content

Jennifer Weiser: Author Spotlight + Recipe



Jennifer Weiser, author of the YA paranormal dystopian novel, The Touched shares her insights on writing. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, she's also shared a festive pie recipe. I'm thrilled to host this delightful writer on my blog today!
  
What is your process for plotting out your novel?
I actually don’t have one. As much as I’ve tried to plot before writing, I just can’t seem to do it. I tend to take an idea and run with it, allowing the story and plot to unfold as I type.

What is your greatest challenge as a writer?
Greatest challenge…hmm, that’s a great question! I suppose my greatest challenge as a writer would be not being able to plot out a story before I sit down to write it. I imagine if I could, I would be able to write more and faster.

Do you write in one genre or multiple genres? Why?
I’ve only ever written one book that wasn’t YA. And even then it felt off and odd to me to write a genre that was out of my element. To me, writing YA is fresh and exciting. It’s the time in a young person's life where they experience so many firsts. Love, heartache, loss, revenge…drama. It never gets stale to me. I know they say that college is the best time of a person's life, but I tend to disagree. For me, high school days held some of my favorite memories and I wouldn’t trade them or my experiences for anything. It’s because of those memories, I write YA. I don’t think I will ever truly grow tired of YA or write outside of it… but I suppose you should never say never. ;)

What was your path to publication like?
My path to publication was filled with a lot of ups and downs and filled with the dreaded grossness of self-doubt. I never set out to publish a book when I fully started writing full time. Writing had always been something I loved doing, but I never saw it becoming more then me writing fun stories and keeping them to myself…but out of the blue one day, I found myself writing “End of Book One” and feeling this amazing feeling over accomplishment. I’ve written tons of short stories but never a full length novel. I was besides myself. It wasn’t until a friend and fellow author persuaded me to pitch to literary agents that I actually thought about publishing. From there it was two years of rejections and full manuscript requests that never lead anywhere. In May of this year, I made the decision to pitch one final time…and that was to Limitless Publishing. I expected it to go no where…except it did. :)

What advice do you have for someone who dreams of writing and having a book published?
My biggest advice would be not to give up, even in those moments of utter weakness when you just can’t handle another rejection letter. There are going to be days where this advice will make you want to scream, but trust me, keep pushing to make your dream a reality because it will happen. And when it does, there isn’t a true word that will describes the feelings you get  that moment when you see your book in print and your name on its cover. 

THE TOUCHED in a nutshell:
The first sixteen years of Arabella Penthallow’s life have been a lie… In a world where deception is the key to survival, Ara has kept up the charade of being a perfect Legion Leader’s daughter. But a darkness stirs, and she discovers she is Touched, a mortal gifted by the Gods. The Touched are as rare as they are feared, and Ara is forced to leave Union City for neighboring Midnight City to protect herself and those she loves, leaving Tove Thorn, the boy who has always known her heart, behind. 
Buy The Touched on Amazon

Author Bio:
Jennifer Weiser is a young adult author who has always been a book nerd and a bit chocolate obsessed. Writing has always been a favorite escape, but quickly became a passion not long after the birth of her daughter. When she isn't combing the shelves of her local book stores or blogging about newest book obsessions, you can find her nestled in her nook creating worlds she hopes that one day will inspire her daughter, who not only has given her the courage to follow her dreams--but offers the inspirations that help color their worlds together.

Double Layer Pumpkin Pie

In the tradition of Thanksgiving being upon us, I thought I would share my favorite, yet festive pumpkin treat that will keep them coming back for more. My husband isn’t a fan of pie. It’s a travesty, I know. What person out there doesn’t like pie? Okay, correction, he doesn’t like pies with flaky crusts or that are filled with fruit. Give him a chocolate silk pie or a cream pie of any sort and he’ll eat it the entire thing before you can blink. But Thanksgiving is all about the pumpkin pie for me. Thanksgiving just isn’t the same without it. So with my husbands dislike for flaky pies that are so awesome, he misses out and my love for pumpkin, a few years ago I found a solution. A cream pumpkin pie! This bad boy has the works…cream cheese, pumpkin, graham cracker crust and the yumminess of that traditional favorite—with no baking time at all! *Note, I can’t take credit for this recipe. But I will take credit for stumbling upon it’s awesomeness. Thanks Keebler Recipes!

Prep Time: 15 minutes ( I know! That’s it! Now you can get back to those cyber deals!)
Total Time: 4 hours and 15 minutes
Servings: 8

Ingredients
4 Ounces of Cream Cheese, softened
1 tablespoon of milk
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 1/2 cups frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
1 Ready Made Graham pie crust
3/4 cups cold milk
2 packages (4-serving size) vanilla flavor instant pudding
2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
1 can (15 oz) Pumpkin

Directions:
In a medium bowl whisk together cream cheese, tablespoons of milk and sugar. Gently stir in whipped topping. Carefully spread in crust. In a large bowl beat 3/4 cup of milk, pudding mix and spice with wire whisk for 1 minute. Whisk in pumpkin. (Mixture will be thick) Carefully spread over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or until set.

Garnish as desired. Enjoy! :) Store in refrigerator.

*Note: May substitute 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves in place of pumpkin pie spice.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dating Maggie Excerpt II

The front door squeaked open. First Maggie saw the steel-toed alligator skin boots and worked her way up to the Stetson cowboy hat perched on the guy’s tall, rugged frame. There was goatee stubble on his face. His hazel eyes were penetrating. He was undeniably hot. Maggie was having a hard time breathing. Be cool . Cowboys were so not her type anyway. And what was one doing in Hollywood? Maybe he was an extra on something shooting nearby. If not, shouldn’t he be in Montana roping steer or something?  Sweat pooled in her armpits from running to work. She glanced at her reflection in the dark paneled door. Her hair was thrown up in a messy crow’s nest of a bun. And her uniform did her no favors. Pleated beige polyester pants and a loose green polo shirt would make anyone look dowdy.  The cowboy extended his hand. “Ma’am, I’m here for the ten o’ clock movie studio tour.”

Dating Maggie Excerpt I

Maggie sat up straight and licked her front teeth. There was no gloss present. She was positioned in front of a camera perched on a pile of books. I’m attempting to make my first video dating diary or vlog as they say. She cleared her throat dramatically and let out a long breath. This morning I got some bad news. The actress moved off camera to check and see if she’d remembered to press record. She had. Editing would take care of her off camera flub up. Patrick is in a coma. His sister called me back when she heard the messages that I’d left on his phone. She tucked her hair behind her ears. I guess it’s true that the shower is one of the top places to have an accident. She paused dramatically, contemplating what she’d say next. It looks like now I’ll be flying solo at my twenty-fifth birthday dinner tonight. And date number two with this very promising guy is now cancelled…indefinitely

Christmas Kiss, a sweet romance novelette is now on Amazon!

Get it here for.99 on Amazon Here is the blurb:  Just weeks from Christmas, Jess must move from NYC to Orcas Island to fix up the bakery she’s inherited. Being unexpectedly dumped by her boyfriend has not helped to get her into the holiday spirit. To make matters worse, Charlie, her neighbor practices electric guitar every night and is quick to share his strong stance on property lines. Despite mounting conflicts, will Jess and Charlie’s hearts be softened by the atmosphere of the Christmas season? This sweet Christmas romance novelette is best read near a crackling fire as the snow falls outside.